345 North College St.
Charlotte, NC 28202
Box Office: 704-348-5741
Light Rail Stop:
From the Lynx, debark at Seventh Street Station. Walk up 7th, past Levine Museum to 7th, for the back entrance at the corner of 7th and College Street.
- The McGlohon Theatre at Spirit Square Center for Arts & Education seats 730 and is a showplace for local and national performances.
- Opened in 1980, this intimate space was the former First Baptist Church that was founded in 1832. It was built in 1909.The Church moved into a new building in 1975 and the Mecklenburg County Commissioners purchased the building.
- With its stained glass windows and Byzantine dome, this historically designated space makes each event a unique experience. The McGlohon Theatre is comprised of two levels: the Orchestra (stage) Level and the Balcony Level.
- The former church sanctuary was named in honor of Loonis McGlohon, an internationally known jazz musician from Charlotte, in 1998.
- Located in the heart of Spirit Square in a magnificent three-story atrium. Helping make the Atrium lobby a truly exquisite space are marble floors, large supporting columns and ever-changing display or artwork.
- The Atrium and McGlohon lobby accommodate up to 450 for standing receptions and 222 for seated receptions.
Accessibility Services for McGlohon Theatre:
Advance reservations for Patrons needing assistance are encouraged to ensure the best possible experience!
- Assisted listening system for people with hearing impairments
- Wheelchair accessibility
- Wheelchair seating.
Entry and exit assistance:
- For performances at Spirit Square’s McGlohon Theatre or Duke Power Theatre, an usher can meet patrons who need assistance at the Tryon Street entrance or in the 7th Street drop-off area.
- There is a drop off point at each theater where a driver can drop off a patron needing assistance. We provide an usher to be waiting for them and can assist with getting the patron into the theater in a wheelchair. All locations are on this form. We do have some wheelchairs we can provide simply for transporting the patron to and from the theater. This service is also available post show. The patron can let the usher who is helping them preshow that they will also need assistance afterwards and that will be arranged then. We ask that all areas on the form are filled out properly. These forms are given to our Front of House Managers day of show and that is the only thing they have to go off on for the patron. Also this does not have to be filled out at the time of purchase, a patron can call back at any time and request this.
Services for the visually impaired:
- Audio Description
- Certain performances will be audio described for the blind or visually impaired. The Box Office will provide a schedule of these performances upon request. Audio description provides an on-going oral description of the action, sets and costumes during the performance. Each participant wears a headset, and no other patrons are able to hear the descriptions.
- Service Animals
- If you or someone in your party plans to attend an event with a service animal, please inform the Box Office when purchasing your tickets so that we may arrange for an aisle seat.
Services for the deaf and hard of hearing:
- Certain performances at Spirit Square will be interpreted for the hearing impaired. The Box Office will provide a schedule of these performances as requested.
- Assisted Listening Devices
- Assisted Listening amplification is available free of charge for all performances at Spirit Square. In McGlohon Theatre or Duke Power Theatre, patrons may ask an usher for assistance.
How many seats are in the McGlohon?
- Orchestra: 410
- Balcony: 306
- Removable arm chairs. Not bolted
- Removable arm chairs. Not bolted.
- A pole divides seat 1 from seat 3.
- No accessible seating on this level.
- Doors to Theater open 30 minutes before show time.
- Lobby Opens: one hour before show
- Box Office: 2 hours before the show (closes after intermission)
- Late Seating: Depends on the show.
- Concerts: after 1st song
- Broadway: after intro
7th Street Station Garage: 270 E. 7th St. Charlotte, NC 28202
- E. 7th Street
- E. 6th Street